Replacing the highly-acclaimed first edition, this second, newly-researched, fully-revised, expanded and updated edition now includes details of 29 major University centres and their Institutions of Higher Education. It takes full advantage of the recent technological revolution, highlighting a whole range of internet sites for job opportunities, course registration, accommodation, tourism and leisure. The practical help and advice are based on the authors’ many years of experience as year abroad tutors at the University of Birmingham. Whether spending a few weeks on a vacation course or a half- or a full year in academic study, or as an English assistant or on a work experience placement, the visiting student and, doubtless many a parent, will draw considerable comfort from the information and advice contained within these pages.
About the Author
Russell Cousins is Honorary Senior Lecturer in the Department of French Studies at the University of Birmingham. Ron Hallmark, formerly of the Department of French Studies, is Visiting Lecturer and consultant on year abroad matters in the Business School at the University of Birmingham. Ian Pickup was formerly Senior Lecturer in the Department of French Studies and Senior Tutor, Joint Honours at the University of Birmingham.
Table of Contents
• The pattern of higher education provision in France
• Courses in French universities
• Accommodation and welfare services
• Working in France
• Studying in France: What to do before you go
• Studying in France: What to do when you get there
• Returning and reintegrating
• Part III French institutions of higher education and their towns
• A glossary of useful terms
• Select bibliography and internet addresses
• Emergency telephone numbers