Taking Charge of ADHD, Revised Edition: The Complete, Authoritative Guide for Parents / Edition 1 available in Paperback
A treasured parent resource since its publication, Taking Charge of ADHD provides authoritative information on ADHD and its treatment. From internationally renowned ADHD expert Russell A. Barkley, the book empowers parents by arming them with the knowledge, expert guidance, and confidence they need. Included are:
*A step-by-step plan for behavior management that has helped thousands of children.
*Current information on medications, including coverage of Strattera and extended-release stimulants.
*Strategies that help children succeed at school and in social situations.
*Advances in research on the causes of ADHD.
*Practical advice on managing stress and keeping peace in the family.
*Descriptions of books, organizations, and Internet resources that families can trust.
|Publisher:||Guilford Publications, Inc.|
|Product dimensions:||7.00(w) x 10.00(h) x (d)|
About the Author
Russell A. Barkley, PhD, ABPP, ABCN, is Clinical Professor of Psychiatry and Pediatrics at the Medical University of South Carolina. Dr. Barkley has published numerous books and five assessment scales, plus more than 260 scientific articles and book chapters on ADHD, executive functioning, and childhood defiance. He is also the editor of the newsletter The ADHD Report. A frequent conference presenter and speaker who is widely cited in the national media, he is past president of the Section on Clinical Child Psychology (the former Division 12) of the American Psychological Association, and of the International Society for Research in Child and Adolescent Psychopathology. His website is www.russellbarkley.org.
Table of Contents
Introduction: A Guiding Philosophy for Parents of Children with ADHD
I. Understanding ADHD
1. What Is Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder?
2. What's Really Wrong with My Child?: Poor Self-Control
3. What Causes ADHD?
4. What to Expect: The Nature of the Disorder
5. The Family Context of a Child with ADHD
II. Taking Charge: How to Be a Successful Executive Parent
6. Deciding to Have Your Child Evaluated for ADHD
7. Preparing for the Evaluation
8. Coping with the Diagnosis of ADHD
9. Fourteen Guiding Principles for Raising a Child with ADHD
10. Just for Parents: How to Take Care of Yourself
III. Managing Life with ADHD: How to Cope at Home and at School
11. Eight Steps to Better Behavior
12. Taking Charge at Home: The Art of Problem Solving
13. How to Help Your Child with Peer Problems
14. Getting through Adolescence, with Arthur L. Robin
15. Off to School on the Right Foot: Managing Your Child's Education, with Linda J. Pfiffner
16. Enhancing Education at School and at Home: Methods for Success from Kindergarten through Grade 12, with Linda J. Pfiffner
17. Keeping School Performance in Perspective
IV. Medications for ADHD
18. The Most Effective Medicines: The Stimulants and a Nonstimulant
19. Other Medicines: Antidepressants and Antihypertensives
Support Services for Parents
Suggested Reading and Videotapes
Parents who are ready to take charge of their child's life with the help of a world renowned expert on ADHD, as well as health care professionals.