Part One: Understanding Freshmen.
1. From High School to College: The Entering Freshman.
2. The First Year: Coping with Challenges and Changes.
3. Learning Styles and Intellectual Development.
Part Two: Teaching Freshmen.
4. Knowing, Understanding, and Thinking: The Goals of Freshman Instruction.
5. Preparing a Syllabus and Meeting the First Class.
6. Presenting and Explaining.
7. Encouraging Student Involvement in the Classroom.
8. Fostering Active Learning Outside the Classroom.
9. Evaluating Student Learning.
Part Three: Special Challenges in Teaching Freshmen.
11. Teaching Large Classes.
12. Advising and Mentoring as Teaching Opportunities.
13. Developing Study and Learning Skills.
14. Strengthening Commitments to Freshman Teaching.