Teaching Literature is an inspirational guidebook for all teachers of English and American literature in higher education.
- Written by leading academic, prolific author and cultural journalist, Elaine Showalter
- Original and provocative reflections on teaching literature in higher education
- Encourages teachers to make their classroom practice intellectually exciting
- Wide-ranging - covers the practical, theoretical, and methodological aspects of teaching literature
- Highly practical - employs real examples from real classes and careers throughout
- Draws on 40 years of international teaching experience
|Product dimensions:||6.05(w) x 9.05(h) x 0.54(d)|
Table of Contents
Preface and Acknowledgements.
1. The Anxiety of Teaching.
2. Theories of Teaching Literature.
3. Methods of Teaching Literature.
4. Teaching Poetry.
5. Teaching Drama.
6. Teaching Fiction.
7. Teaching Theory.
8. Teaching Teachers.
9. Teaching Dangerous Subjects.
10. Teaching Literature in Dark Times.
Conclusion: The Joy of Teaching Literature.