Creating better outcomes for your students sometimes means you have to challenge the odds. Academics and standardized assessments aren't enough. You need to educate both their hearts and minds.
Strengthen your students' resilience, spark their curiosity for learning, and encourage future success in college, career, and beyond. Be the best teacher you can be and infuse social emotional skills into your teaching of any subject.
In Teaching with the HEART in Mind, Dr. Lorea Martínez Pérez provides a comprehensive roadmap to understanding the psychology of emotions, relationships, and adversity in learning, while equipping you to teach SEL skills and develop your own social and emotional intelligence. Full of practical techniques for educators of all subjects, this is your guide for transforming your classroom through essential SEL principles.
- How to create a safe, supportive school environment that encourages a positive educational mindset and better goal setting.
- A three-step process to infuse HEART skills into lesson planning for every subject and grade level.
- A full scope and sequence by grade, along with indicators of mastery for each skill in the HEART in Mind program.
- Tools for teachers to develop their own social and emotional capacity for a more effective and resilient teaching focus.
- Over 90 activities to implement SEL into your classroom—even virtually!
Empower your students to be their best selves. Get Teaching with the HEART in Mind today and plant the seeds for a more caring, equitable future through education infused with social emotional learning!
About the Author
Table of Contents
What Is SEL?
Teaching with the HEART in Mind
Part 1: Learning Is Social, Emotional, and Academic
Chapter 1: We Feel, Therefore We Learn
Chapter 2: A Champion for Every Child
Chapter 3: Adversity Affects Learning
Part 2: Teaching and Learning with the Heart in Mind
Chapter 4: Developing Positive Conditions for Learning
Chapter 5: Teaching and Integrating the HEART in Mind Model
Chapter 6: HEART Skills in the Virtual Classroom
Chapter 7: Integrating HEART Skills into Academic Lessons
Part 3: The Whole-Hearted Educator
Chapter 8: Finding Your Voice
Chapter 9: Building Your Resilience
Chapter 10: Doing the Work that Matters
Part 4: Putting All the Pieces Together
Chapter 11: Teaching and Learning with the HEART in Mind
HEART Skills Scope and Sequence
Self-Assessment for Adult HEART Skills