"The Base-Metal Coinage of the Western Satraps in India (50-400 AD), Catalogue and Price Guide",
A. M. Fishman
This is the brand new publication - second volume on the coinage of the
Western Satraps in India. This 216 page book is the most comprehensive study of the poorly known and understood base-metal (billon, lead, copper, bronze and potin) coinage of the Western Satraps ever written. The Western Satraps (also known as Indo-Sakas or Indo-Scythians) of Gujarat and the surrounding areas in Western India issued a plethora of beautiful rich coinage and sparse and poorly-studied base-metal coinage. This is the perfect guide for the new or experienced collector.
The coins of the Western Satraps (also known as the Western Kshatrapas) were issued for over three centuries (from the 1st century AD to the early 5th century AD) and covered thirty eight rulers from two distinct dynasties (Kshaharatas and Kardamakas).
The book features:
- Over 200 detailed and accurate line drawings, showing each type (and many minor varieties), many never published before
- Over 220 photographs showing most coin types
- Detailed explanation on how to read the Saka Era dates on these coins, with every year spelled out and explained
- Detailed explanations and help with the Brahmi and Kharoshti spelling, with every inscription written out and explained
- Notes on the rarity and importance of each type
- Short survey of the successor coinage - later lead coins based on the Kshatrapa design
- A survey of existing literature
For book resellers: If you are looking for buy more than one copy for resale, please contact us for the discounted price.
About the author
Dr. Fishman is a professional numismatist and well-known expert on ancient Indian coins.