This booklet portrays the history of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway at Clifton Forge, Virginia, a site that became important to the railway early in its history and eventually assumed a position as its second most important facility. In 1889 C&O located important shops and yards at Clifton Forge. The yard was expanded in 1923 and reached the height of its importance to C&O. Converted to diesel work and eventually downsized and the shop eventually closed and the yard was downsized as railroading changed it character in the 1970s-2000 era. Clifton Forge is the embodiment of a prototypical American Railroad town, and retains that flavor even today.