"Defining myself, as opposed to being defined by others, is one of the most difficult challenges I face."
Carol Moseley Braun
Strong Black Woman. Black Girl Magic. These six words can motivate, but they can also intimidate and misrepresent. There is no otherworldly magic in a Black woman's capacity to survive, no more than there is in her ability to thrive despite racism, sexism, classism, homophobia, and so on. At the end of a tiring day, Black Girl Magic is old-fashioned grit and perseverance.
The Color of My Resilience: A Guided Self-Care Journal for Black Women is intended to foster and support self-awareness and reflection in a safe environment. The depiction of more than a dozen images of Black women reflects the diversity of Black womanhood.This guided journal will cast a spotlight into your heart, mind, and soul, then take you on a heroine's journey of self-discovery, reflection, and action.
The guided journal will help you:
- Describe your struggles and successes
- Plan for and think about your self-care routines
- Assess your current self-care
- Identify your allies, values, aptitudes, interests, and strengths
- Examine your emotional triggers
- Plan long-and-short-term goals
- Get to know and understand yourself on a deep, meaningful level
The book provides six different reflection strategies, as well as poems and essays written by Black women. From a college student to a small business owner to a USA Today Bestselling author, these women have opened their hearts and shared their stories of resilience.