Intended for upper division college students, seminarians, and pastors, The Community of Jesus delivers a biblical, historic, systematic, and missional theology of the church.
Today the word church provokes wide-ranging reactions and generates discussion on a variety of issues among Christians and non-Christians alike. In order to sort through this maze of responses and topics, a biblical and theological foundation must be laid that provides a clear vision of the church of the Lord Jesus Christ and its significance in God’s eternal purpose.
With extensive pastoral, teaching, missions, and administrative experience, this team of contributors carefully sets forth the biblical teachings concerning the church and then builds on this core material, relating the theology of the church to salvation history, church history, God’s glory, and God’s mission:
• Paul R. House, “God Walks with His People: Old Testament Foundations”
• Andreas J. Köstenberger, “The Church According to the Gospels”
• Kendell H. Easley, “The Church in Acts and Revelation: New Testament Bookends”
• David S. Dockery, “The Church in the Pauline Epistles”
• Ray Van Neste, “The Church in the General Epistles”
• James A. Patterson, “The Church in History: Ecclesiastical Ideals and Institutional Realities”
• Stephen J.Wellum, “Beyond Mere Ecclesiology: The Church as God’s New Covenant Community”
• Christopher W. Morgan, “The Church and the Glory of God”
• Bruce Riley Ashford, “The Church in the Mission of God”
|Publisher:||B&H Publishing Group|
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||1 MB|
About the Author
Kendell H. Easley is professor of Biblical Studies and director of the School of Theology and Missions graduate programs at the Stephen Olford Center at Union University in Memphis, Tennessee.
Christopher W. Morgan is dean and professor of Theology of the School of Christian Ministries at California Baptist University in Riverside.
Table of Contents
Introduction Kendell H. Easley Christopher W. Morgan xi
1 God Walks with His People: Old Testament Foundations Paul R. House 1
2 The Church According to the Gospels Andreas J. Köstenberger 35
3 The Church in Acts and Revelation: New Testament Bookends Kendell H. Easley 65
4 The Church in the Pauline Epistles David S. Dockery 103
5 The Church in the General Epistles Ray F. Van Neste 123
6 The Church in History: Ecclesiological Ideals and Institutional Realities James A. Patterson 155
7 Beyond Mere Ecclesiology: The Church as God's New Covenant Community Stephen J. Wellum 183
8 The Church and God's Glory Christopher W. Morgan 213
9 The Church in the Mission of God Bruce Riley Ashfard 237
Selected Bibliography 261
Name Index 269
Subject Index 273
Scripture Index 277