Based on the authors' consulting experience with numerous Fortune 500 companies, this resource will help you capture the synergies of your next merger or acquisition more quickly and effectively. Augmenting their step-by-step advice with helpful templates, checklists, graphs and tools; Galpin and Herndon provide sound guidance for successfully integrating different processes, organizations, and cultures. The authors also address pre-deal dos and don'ts, people dynamics, common mistakes, communications strategies, and specific actions you can take to create measurable positive results throughout the integration process.
About the Author
TIMOTHY J. GALPIN is President of Integration Partners, LLC, and has been involved in over thirty successful mergers. He is the author of two previous books, The Human Side of Change and Making Strategy Work, both from Jossey-Bass.
MARK HERNDON serves as regional leader for Merger and Acquisition Services with Watson Wyatt Worldwide. As a consultant on more than twenty integration assignments, his work has focused on designing and implementing merger integration approaches that maximize the speed, synergy capture, and strategic communication of the deal.
Table of Contents
Preface The Authors
1. Integration: The Real Deal -Why Deals Are Done -Integration: An Experience-Driven Skill Set -The Watson Wyatt Deal-Flow Model
2. Integration Begins with Due Diligence -Redefining the Process of Due Diligence -Due Diligence and Integration Risk Factors -Due Diligence and Organizational Culture -Due Diligence and Human Capital -Coordinating HR into the Due Diligence Process
3. Welcome to the Big Leagues of Change Management -Organizational Dynamics Created By Mergers and Acquisitions -Concepts of Change Management
4. The Merger Integration Work Streams Model -The Merger Integration Work Streams Model -Deploying the Model
5. Organizing and Involving Integration Task Forces -Establishing the Integration Infrastructure -Launching the Planning Process -Managing the Integration Process
6. Tell It Like It Is: Honest Communication -The Johari Window -Communication Models for a Merger -Knowledge Before New Skills
7. Don't Let Them Jump Ship: Retaining Your Key People -Indetifying Key People -Understanding What Motivates People -Developing and Executing an Action Plan
8. Setting the Organization Cures Many Ills: Structure and Staffing Decisions -Common Problems -Ten Principles -Fair Processes -Staffing Process Models
9. Keeping Track of Success: Merger Measurements Systems -Integration Measures -Operational Measures -Process and Cultural Measures -Financial Measures
10. "But They're So Different": Cultural Integration -Defining Organizational Culture -Discovering, Inventing, and Delivering Cultural Integration -Answering Key Questions -Sticking to the Implementation Plan -Contituous Management of Cultural Integration
11. Putting It All Together: Human Capital Integration and the Human Resources Function -The "Making Strategy Work" Function -The Competitive Advantage Model -Case Studies in Human-Capital-Related Integration
12. Keys ot M&A Success -Recommendations for Success -Developing a Sustained M&A Capability -Avoiding "Killer" Phrases