|Publisher:||Allyn & Bacon, Inc.|
|Product dimensions:||7.48(w) x 9.84(h) x (d)|
Table of Contents
About the Authors.
I. LANGUAGE ACQUISITION AND STRUCTURE.
1. Second Language Acquisition and Learning: Theory and Practice.
Historical Theories of Language Development.
Current Theories of Language Development.
2. Second Language Acquisition: Psychological and Sociocultural Factors.
3. Language Structure and Use.
The Structure of Language.
II. ENGLISH LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT, CONTENT INSTRUCTION, AND BILINGUAL EDUCATION.
4. English Language Development.
Methods for English Language Development.
Working with Paraprofessionals.
5. Content Area Instruction.
Principles of Specially Designed Academic Instruction in English.
Organizing for Instruction.
Content Area Application.
6. Theories and Methods of Bilingual Education.
Foundations of Bilingual Education.
Organizational Models: What Works for Whom?
Bilingual Education at the Millennium.
7. Language and Content Area Assessment.
Purposes of Assessment.
Methods of Assessment.
Limitations of Assessment.
III. CULTURE AND CULTURAL DIVERSITY.
8. The NatContact.
The Nature of Culture.
9. Cultural Diversity in the United States.
Immigration and Migration.
10. Manifestations of Culture: Learning about Students.
What Teachers Need to Learn about Their Students.
How Teachers Can Learn about Their Students.
How Teachers Can Use What They Learn about Their Students (Culturally Responsive Pedagogy).
IV. LANGUAGE POLICIES, PROGRAMS, AND ISSUES.
11. The Role of Teachers in Language Planning and Policy.
Planning and Policy in the Classroom.
Policy at the School Level.
Policy in Local School Districts.
Community Support for Language Minority Students.
State Commissions and Professional Organizations.
Influencing Federal Policies.
12. Theory and Practice: Elementary and Secondary Programs and Issues.
HELP: A Holistic English Literacy Program for Multilingual Elementary Classrooms (with Monica Ford).
Secondary Education: Equity and Quality Issues for Language Minority Students (by Rosalie Giacchino-Baker).
Appendix A: The Continuity Model for English Language Development (by K. Weed and L. Diaz-Rico).