Finally, a delightful book series that helps kids learn phonics rules step by step. Fun books designed for anyone learning to read with phonics, especially learners with dyslexia. Start anywhere in the series, according to your child's reading level. All DOG ON A LOG Books follow a Structured Literacy/Orton-Gillingham based phonics sequence. Gameboards, flashcards, and other activities can be downloaded from www.dogonalogbooks.com.
Jan and Tup hop to the dam, but Tup does not like to get wet.
"The dog is on a log. He is a bit
of a dog. He is a pup."
a, are, be, does, go, goes, has, he, her, his, into, is, like, my, of, OK, says, see, she, the, they, to, want, you
Approximately 260 total words
This is a Step 1 Chapter Book..
Decodable books let a learner who has been taught the phonics rules and sight words in that book sound them out and read them. These are systematic books because each Step of books build on the skills practiced in the prior Steps.
Most kids who read DOG ON A LOG Books are proud that they can finally read a book without so much frustration.
Cream colored paper, 24 point Verdana font (one of the most dyslexia-friendly fonts)
DOG ON A LOG Phonics Progression
- Consonants, primary sounds
- Short vowels
- Digraphs: ch, sh, th, wh, ck
- 2 and 3 sound words
- Possessive 's
- Bonus letters (f, l, s, z after short vowel)
- -s suffix
- Letter Buddies: ang, ing, ong, ung, ank, ink, onk, unk
- Consonant Blends to make 4 sound words
- 3 and 4 sound words ending in -lk, -sk
- Digraph blends -nch to make 3 and 4 sound words
- Silent e, including "-ke"
- Exception words containing: ild, old, olt, ind, ost
- 5 sounds in a closed syllable word plus suffix -s (crunch, slumps)
- 3 letter blends and up to 6 sounds in a closed syllable word (script, spring)
- Two syllable words with 2 closed syllables, not blends (sunset, chicken, unlock)
- Two syllable words with all previously introduced sounds including blends, exception words, and silent “e” (blacksmith, kindness, inside)
- Vowel digraphs: ai, ay, ea, ee, ie, oa, oe (rain, play, beach, tree, pie, goat, toe)
WATCH FOR MORE STEPS AND BOOKS COMING SOON
About the Author
I want to share our books with new readers and their families. I also want to make them affordable. All books are available in both digital and paper editions. The most cost-effective version is a digital collection of five same-step books. The paperback version of the five book collections is a bit more, but is still a lot less expensive than buying the individual paper books. Due to production costs, the individual paperbacks are the most expensive way to buy these books. However, these books give kids a chance to hold a book and say, "I read this WHOLE book." Since every family will have different needs and different budgets, I am making the books available in multiple formats. All the paperbacks have black and white pictures to keep prices down. The digital books all have color pictures.
As our reading journey progresses I will continue to write books for my daughter and to share them with other families.
I was not going to include artwork because that is not my talent. However, my daughter was adamant she wanted her books to include pictures. I may not be able to draw, but I can photoshop. I thoroughly enjoy adapting public domain images to each story. I am grateful to the artists who have made their images available for public domain uses. These sweet images give my daughter a break when the reading is challenging.
I hope other new readers will be entertained by these stories as they practice, and master, each step of their reading journey.