Uh-oh, it looks like your Internet Explorer is out of date.
For a better shopping experience, please upgrade now.
The Ethiopians: A History / Edition 1 available in Paperback
The book opens with a review of Ethiopian prehistory, showing how the Ethiopian section of the African Rift Valley has come to be seen as the "cradle of humanity".
Table of Contents
List of Plates.
List of Maps.
Series Editor's Preface.
Table of Dates.
1. Prehistory and Geography.
2. Punt, Pharaohs and Ptolemies, the Aksumite Kingdom, and the Coming of Christianity.
3. The Zagwé Dynasty, Lalibala Churches, and Solomonic 'Restoration'.
4. Life in the Middle Ages, Contacts with Muslim Neighbours and Far-off Christians.
5. Ahmad ibn Ibrahim, Oromo Migration, and Ottoman Seizure of Massawa.
6. The Move of Capital North-West, and the Roman Catholic Interlude.
7. The Rise and Fall of Gondar.
8. The Early Nineteenth-Century, and the Advent of Téwodros II.
9. Yohannes, Menilek, and the European Powers.
10. Beginnings of Modernisation, Menilek, Iyasu, Zawditu, and Haile Sellassie.
11. Invasion, Occupation, and Liberation.
12. Restoration and Revolution.