"The most comprehensive book on grief I've read. Well done!" - Dr. Craig Borchardt, President / CEO Hospice Brazos Valley
"Help! How do I do this?"
Loss strikes. Your heart is stunned. Your world is shaken. Someone special is missing.
Life will never be the same. You will never be the same.
Questions surface in your mind and heart. You try to make sense of it all. You struggle with overwhelming emotions and troubling thoughts. You tussle with what to do and when.
You need answers. You need compassionate, practical direction. You need a guide for this journey - a companion to walk with you through all the questions, wonderings, fears, and obstacles.
Welcome to The Grief Guidebook.
Multiple award-winning author, speaker, and grief specialist Gary Roe is a trusted voice in grief recovery who has been helping wounded, grieving hearts find hope and healing for more than three decades. Written with heartfelt compassion, this warm, easy-to-read, and practical book reads like a conversation with a close friend.
Gary says, "Over the past three decades, I've had the honor of walking with thousands of grieving hearts through the valley of loss. Along the way, I've been asked a multitude of questions about grief and grieving.
In this book, I've compiled and addressed more than 70 of the most common questions I've been asked. Each chapter contains a question, a heartfelt response, and some suggestions for how to handle that issue.
The beauty of The Grief Guidebook is that you can read straight through or simply go to the question that's currently on your mind and heart. Consider this a reference manual for your grief process.
I hope you find The Grief Guidebook helpful, comforting, and healing. Please let me know what you think. Feel free to contact me anytime. I'm here to help, if I can."
You have questions. The Grief Guidebook has answers. Grab your copy today.
Related collections and offers
About the Author
Gary is the author more than a dozen books, including the award-winning bestsellers Shattered: Surviving the Loss of a Child, Grief Walk: Experiencing God After the Loss of a Loved One, Comfort for the Grieving Spouse's Heart, and Teen Grief: Caring for the Grieving Teenage Heart. Gary has won four international book awards and his books have been honored as award finalists eight times. He has been featured on Dr. Laura, Thrive Global, Belief Net, the Christian Broadcasting Network, Wellness, Bustle, The Family Educator, the Family Bookmark, Professor's House, and other major media. Gary has over 800 articles in print.
Recipient of the Diane Duncam Award for Excellence in Hospice Care, Gary is a popular keynote, conference, and seminar speaker at a wide variety of venues. He founded and coordinates The Suicide Prevention Project and is a member of the Texas Authors Association, the American Institute of Healthcare Professionals, and the American Academy of Grief Counseling.
Gary loves being a husband and father. He has seven adopted children, including three daughters from Colombia. He enjoys hockey, corny jokes, good puns, and colorful Hawaiian shirts. Gary and his wife Jen and family live in Texas. Visit Gary at www.garyroe.com.
Table of Contents
Other Books by Gary Roe
What This Book is All About
Part One: The Emotional Upheaval
1. How Could This Happen?
2. Why Does This Hurt So Much?
3. Why Can't I Stop Crying?
4. I Can't Seem to Cry. What's Wrong with Me?
5. Who Else am I Going to Lose?
Grief Skill: The Habit of Deep Breathing
6. Am I Going to Die? Am I Next?
7. How Do I Deal with Anxiety?
Grief Skill: A.I.R. Your Emotions
8. What Do I Do with the Anger I Feel?
9. How Do I Deal with All the Guilt I Feel?
10. How Do I Handle Emotional Overwhelm?
Grief Skill: T.W.A.: Talk it out. Write it out. Art it out.
11. Why Don't I Feel Like Myself Anymore?
12. Why is Grief So Confusing?
13. Is It Okay to Feel Numb?
14. Is It Normal to be Depressed After a Death?
15. Am I Going Crazy?
16. How Do I Deal with Grief Attacks?
17. Is It Normal to Feel Vulnerable After a Loss?
18. Is Apathy a Part of Grief?
19. Am I Going to Make It Through This?
20. Why Do I Feel Guilty When I Feel Better?
21. How Do I Stop This Terrible Ache in My Heart?
Part Two: The Mental Challenges
22. Why Can't My Mind Rest?
23. Why Can't I Think Straight?
24. What Happened to My Focus and Concentration?
25. What's Happening to My Memory? Am I Losing My Mind?
26. Are Mental Blank-outs Normal in Grief?
27. How Do I Deal with Traumatic Mental Images?
28. How Do I Handle Lack of Closure?
29. Are Past Losses Complicating My Grief?
30. How Do I Deal with Multiple Losses?
31. How Do I Deal with Self-Harming Thoughts?
Part Three: The Physical Distress
32. Why Am I So Tired All the Time?
33. Why Am I Having All These Strange Physical Symptoms?
34. Why Can't I Sleep Like I Used To?
35. Why Don't I Enjoy Food Anymore?
36. How Did I Become So Accident Prone?
37. How Do I Handle Panic Attacks?
38. Can Grief Make Me Sick?
39. How Do I Take Care of Myself While Grieving?
40. How Do I Keep from Slipping into Old, Unhealthy Habits?
Part Four: The Spiritual Shaking
41. What Do I Do with All These Questions?
42. Where is God in All This?
43. How Do I Handle Being Angry with God?
44. Why? Why? Why?
45. What Do I Do with All My Doubts?
46. Can Loss Produce Spiritual Fatigue?
47. Is Spiritual Numbness a Part of Grief?
48. How Can I Find Hope?
49. Why Am I Here?
Part Five: The Relational Shifts
50. Where Did Everyone Go?
51. Why Are People Treating Me This Way?
52. How Do I Forgive Those Who Have Hurt Me?
53. How Do I Respond to Others' Hurtful Comments?
54. Why Doesn't Anyone Talk About Them?
55. How Do I Find People Who Are Supportive and Helpful?
56. How Do I Work Well While Grieving?
57. What Do I Do If Grief Is Affecting My Marriage?
58. How Do I Parent Well While Grieving?
59. How Do I Deal with the Terrible Loneliness I Feel?
60. Do Support Groups Really Help?
61. Would Counseling Help Me?
62. How Do I Deal with Unsupportive Family?
Part Six: The Future Changes
63. Will This Ever Get Any Better?
64. Who Am I Now?
65. How and When Should I Deal with My Loved One's Possessions?
66. How Do I Make Good Decisions While Grieving?
67. How Do I Think About the Future Now?
68. How Do I Handle Special Days?
69. How Can I Use My Grief for Good?
70. How Do I Move Forward Without Leaving My Loved One Behind?
71. How Can I Help Others Who Are Grieving?
Additional Grief Resources
About the Author
An Urgent Plea