The Japanization of British Industry: New Developments in the 1990s / Edition 2 available in Paperback
The second edition of this important book brings practising managers and academics up-to-date on the social and economic impact and presents new survey evidence and summarizes the debate which has emerged on the subject of Japanization since the mid 1980s.
About the Author
Nick Oliver is a lecturer in Management Studies at the JudgeInstitute of Management Studies, University of Cambridge. Prior tojoining Cambridge, he spent seven years at the Cardiff BusinessSchool. His research interests include Japanese Management Systems,both in terms of How they operate in Japan and are being emulatedin the West, employee ownership, and processes of commitment andcontrol in organizations.
Barry Wilkinson is Professor in Human ResourceManagement at the Cardiff Business School. He has published widelyin the areas of industrial and organisational sociology. Hisexperience covers human resources development, and management inthe Asia-Pacific region, as well as the impact of Japanese directinvestment in the UK.
Table of Contents
List of Figures.
List of Tables.
1. Western Interest in Japan.
2. Japanese Industrial Practice.
3. Theoretical Perspectives.
4. Case Studies in Emulation.
5. Manufacturing Practices and UK Companies.
6. Personnel Practices and UK Companies.
7. Suppliers, Retailers and UK Companies.
8. Cases: Three Japanese Companies in the UK.
9. Japanese Companies in Britain.
10. Industrial Relations and Trade Unions.
11. Policy Implications and Conclusions.