- Overture (My Old Kentucky Home)
- I Got Off the Plane Around Midnight...
- At the Airport Newstand
- The Next Day Was Heavy...
- The Governor, A Swinish Neo-Nazi Hack...
- On Our Way Back To the Motel
- It Was Saturday Morning, the Day of the Big Race...
- In a Box Not Far From Ours...
- Sometime Around 10:30 Monday Morning...
- Get it by Wednesday, September 27 , Order now and choose Expedited Delivery during checkout.
The Kentucky Derby Is Decadent and Depraved is technically the first piece of gonzo journalism from maverick writer Hunter S. Thompson, whose loose-cannon approach to covering the 1970 Kentucky Derby for Scanlan's Monthly included never actually seeing the race, and instead documented the careening alcohol and drug-fueled world surrounding the event. Reprinted years later in Thompson's The Great Shark Hunt, it is much beloved by Thompson fans. This spoken word presentation of it actually turned out pretty interesting, with Tim Robbins turning in a wonderful reading as Thompson, and Bill Frisell's often eerie musical soundtrack making things into a kind of sound collage that somehow fits Thompson perfectly in tone and spirit. This is an audio book with some serious gonzo kick, which is as it should be.
Performance CreditsBill Frisell Primary Artist,Conductor
Dr. John Actor
Hank Roberts Cello
Annie Ross Actor
Ron Miles Trumpet
Curtis Fowlkes Trombone
Doug Weiselman Woodwind
Kenny Wollesen Percussion,Drums
John Joyce Actor
Ralph Steadman Actor
Tim Robbins Actor
Eyvind Kang Viola
Jenny Scheinman Violin
Will Forte Actor
Technical CreditsHunter S. Thompson Composer
Martin Brumbach Engineer
Bill Frisell Composer
John Kilgore Engineer,Vocal Editing
Hal Willner Producer
Ralph Steadman Artwork
Michael Minzer Executive Producer,Concept
Vanessa Parr Engineer,Vocal Editing