1. Bread and Death: Food and Peasant Rituals in Italy.
2. The Two Faces of Time: The City Calendar and the Country Calendar.
3. The Setting of the Moon: Wine, the Vine and the New Science.
4. Food and Popular Culture.
5. Dietary Geography and Social History.
6. City Cooking and Country Cooking.
7. Bourgeois Cooking in the 19th Century: Between Tradition and Renewal.
8. Concentrated Broth.
9. The Demon of the Hearth.
10. Shopping for Food.
11. The Age of the Soya Bean.
12. The Great Transformation.
13. Born Under Libra.
1. Diet and Literature.
2. List of Authors.
Notes and References.