The Natural Speaker is a concise, practical, inexpensive, student-friendly guide to public speaking that explores the basic skills necessary to present a natural, effective, and rewarding speech to any audience.By providing a basic knowledge of speech construction, practice, and delivery, this book is designed to enhance and improve students' natural speaking strengths. Featuring a warm, simple, and humorous writing style, The Natural Speaker presents the fundamental concepts and skills required for effective speaking.
1. Communicating with Others. What is communication? The components of communication. The principles of communication. Attitude is more important than aptitude. Communication skills for your life. Communication activities.
2. Giving Yourself Permission. The only way we grow. Giving yourself permission to make mistakes. A permission list for speakers. Giving yourself permission to overcome your fear of speaking. Why are you so nervous? Public speaking is different from conversation. Some encouraging words about stage fright. Will I ever get rid of these butterflies? Adventure and growth, not safety. Communication activities.
3. Giving Your First Speech. Your first speech. Public speaking. Three principles for public speaking. Four speaking methods. Your message. Your speech organization. Your delivery. Helpful hints for your first speech. Impromptu speaking. Some words of encouragement when giving impromptu speeches. Communication activities.
4. Selecting Your Topic. It's your choice. Brainstorming possible topics. Determining your speaking purpose. Determining your specific purpose. Selecting your main points. Analyzing your audience. Speech preparation questionnaire. Communication activities.
5. Gathering Your Material. What to look for. Where to look for speech information. How to record your speech information. The evidence three-step. Communication activities.
6.Organizing Your Speech. Speech organization. The body. The introduction. The conclusion. Constructing your speech outline. Sample outline. Communication activities.
7. Delivering Your Speech. Characteristics of good delivery. Elements of good delivery. Speech practice. Speaker evaluation form. Your delivery between speeches. Listening to others speak. Communication activities.
8. Informing Your Audience. Goals of informative speaking. Designs for informative speaking. Language use for informative speaking. Types of informative speeches. Answering questions from the audience. Sample informative speech outline. Communication activities.
9. Persuading Your Audience. Basics of persuasion. Aristotle's three persuasive proofs. Types of persuasive speeches. Sample persuasive speech outline. Communication activities.
10. Becoming a Speaker. Two ways of viewing public speaking. Benefits of becoming a lifelong speaker. Developing the heart of a speaker.