Introduction: The New Deal in Historical Perspective.
1. From New Era Prosperity to a World in Depression.
2. The Politics of the Great Depression.
3. Why the Old Deal Failed.
4. America Impoverished.
5. Out of Disorder, A New Deal.
6. A New Deal in One Hundred Days.
7. The Problem of Recovery.
8. Reconstructing Capitalism.
9. Democratic Reforms.
10. The End of the New Deal.
Epilogue: The New Deal's Legacy.
Appendix: A Partial Chronology of Civil Unrest and Financial Panic, The Winter of 1932-33.