Poland-Lithuania and Russia and he explains why it was Russia that emerged victorious from these wars. Based on extensive primary and secondary research (including much material that is unfamiliar in English) this book makes an important contribution to the debate on military change and political development in early modern Europe.
Table of Contents
List of Illustrations.
2. The First Northern War.
3. The Ascendancy of Poland-Lithuania.
4. A Time of Troubles: the Impact of War, 1558-1619.
5. The Rise of Sweden.
6. New Beginnings.
7. The Thirteen Years War and the Second Northern War.
8. Northern Europe and the Military Revolution.
9. The Start of the Great Northern War.
10. Russia's Triumph.
List of rulers.