The result of a unique ten year collaboration between two of the world's foremost dictionary publishers, Oxford University Press and the Dudenverlag, the original Oxford Duden German Dictionary offered the most comprehensive, accurate, and up to date coverage available of the general vocabulary of contemporary German and English. The two teams worked simultaneously, each living in their own countryin daily contact with other native speakers and in direct touch with changes in their own languagewith regular joint sessions in Mannheim and Oxford to guarantee a balanced and completely consistent treatment. This sharing of expertise resulted in a new kind of dictionary, one that was truly bilingual, not only in its language, but in all the details of its conception and realizationa dictionary that met the needs of both English and German speakers in the 1990s, whether they wished to write or speak the foreign language or to translate from it.
Now comes the Revised Edition of this acclaimed bilingual dictionary, the only dictionary available that offers detailed information on the new German spelling system. Here is a state of the art reference work with all the features you would expect from an Oxford Dictionary. It has:
• Over 260,000 words and phrases and 450,000 translations
• Comprehensive and up-to-date coverage of the general vocabulary of contemporary German and English
• Hundreds of example sentences showing words in use
• Extensive guidance on the selection of the correct translation
• Explanation of terms for which cultural or other differences prevent an exact translation
• Coverage of British and American English, and the German of Germany, Austria, and Switzerland
• Detailed grammatical information, including irregular plurals and past tenses
• Helpful appendices on a wide variety of subjects including grammar, numerical expressions, weights and measures, and a letter-writing guide.
• A full supplement detailing the changes to the German spelling system
Drawing on unparalleled resources, this outstanding dictionary will be the first choice of students, teachers, and translators, as well as anyone else wanting a clear and authoritative English German dictionary.