Prepared by The Culinary Institute of America, which has been hailed by Time magazine as "the nation's most influential training school for cooks," The Professional Chef's® Techniques of Healthy Cooking, Second Edition, offers nutritional cooking techniques and theories that have been tested and proven in the Institute's kitchens. It begins with the language of nutrition. The lessons of the USDA food guide pyramid, the Mediterranean pyramid, and a vegetarian pyramid from the American Dietetic Association (ADA) are used as a foundation for the Institute's seven principles of healthy cooking. They call upon the chef to introduce a wider array of foods such as fruits, grains, and vegetables into dishes. Successful strategies for cooking with less fat, moderating salt, and choosing and using healthy sweeteners are included as well. A separate section on creating healthy menus covers menu and recipe development, nutritional analysis, and nutrition labeling in menus and advertising.
Special features of this incomparable guide include:
- Seven principles of healthy cooking
- Nearly 400 of the Institute's best recipes - 200 of them new to this edition
- Over 250 photos that illustrate basic and advanced preparation techniques and inspire with elegant presentations for healthful dishes
- Practical tips for healthy sauteing, stir frying, grilling, baking, smoke-roasting, and more
- Dependable guidelines for selecting healthy, fresh ingredients
- A nutritional analysis for each recipe, with separate breakdowns for sauces, side dishes, and other components
Filled with time-tested and refined techniques for maximizing both nutrition and flavor, The Professional Chef's® Techniques of Healthy Cooking, Second Edition
, is a completely trustworthy and irreplaceable reference for anyone interested in creating the finest, healthiest, and most flavorful of meals.