Open your mind and heart, lift your voice, and discover how
the sacred art of chant can enrich your spiritual life.
Chanting with an intention to open our hearts and minds to the presence of God in us helps us to be quiet in the face of mystery and learn how to hear what it has to say to us…. Chanting is holistic. It will transform you, you will embody the change, and people will notice the new, more grounded you. More important, though, you will notice the new, more grounded you.
—from the Introduction
The Sacred Art of Chant invites you to use your own voice to create sacred sounds—no matter your religious background or vocal ability. Drawing on chants from several different faith traditions, this invigorating guidebook is ideal for anyone who wants to enliven their prayer experience in a unique way and navigate a path to a conscious relationship with God.
Chant isn’t just about monks or ancient Hindu gurus—this dynamic spiritual art continues to be developed and practiced today. Like other spiritual disciplines, chant can lead to limitless and unexpected benefits. With a steady practice and an open mind, you may find that chant helps you to:
- Cultivate clarity, focus, and compassion in your daily life
- Improve your listening skills
- Raise your energy level
- Improve your receptivity to other people
- Transcend the limits you impose on yourself
- Feel more comfortable in your own skin
- Ultimately, lead a more complete spiritual life
About the Author
Ana Hernandez is a composer, arranger, and performer of sacred music. She is also a member of the recording group HARC. For more than a decade, she has conducted workshops that encourage people to explore the effects of rhythm and chant on their bodies. Her Web site is www.anahermusic.com.
Table of Contents
1. Why I Chant and How I Started (A Pretty Road into a Thicket)
2. Who Chants, and Where? Finding Your Voice
3. How to Chant: In the Beginning Was the Sound
4. Quiet Your Head and Hear Your Heart
5. Incline Your Ear and Pray Like Hell
6. Listening beyond Hearing
7. Now That You're Chanting: Nuts and Bolts
Index of Chants