This 392 page book is the most comprehensive study of the rich silver coinage of the Western Satraps ever written. The Western Satraps (also known as
Indo-Sakas or Indo-Scythians) of Gujarat and the surrounding areas in Western
India issued a plethora of beautiful rich coinage which until now has not been well understood outside of a small circle of specialists. This is the perfect guide for the new or experienced collector.
The coins of the Western Satraps (also known as the "Western Kshatrapas")
were issued for over three centuries (from the 1st century AD to the early 5th century AD) and covered thirty eight rulers from two distinct dynasties
(Kshaharatas and Kardamakas).
The book features:
- Hundreds of high quality photographs showing every type and most varieties
- Detailed historical notes on the Western Satraps and related histories
- Detailed explanation on how to read the Saka Era dates on these coins,
with every year spelled out and explained
- Detailed explanations and help with the Brahmi and Kharoshti spelling,
with every inscription written out and explained
- Numerous coin types and varieties never published before
- Line drawings for each type with full transliterations of the Brahmi inscriptions
- Notes on the rarity and importance of each type
- Price guide, with current Western market values given for most of the coins
- Short survey of the successor coinage - later silver coins based on the
- A survey of existing literature
About the author
Dr. Fishman is a professional numismatist and world-renowned expert on ancient Indian coins.
|Product dimensions:||8.50(w) x 11.00(h) x 1.02(d)|