In The Skilled Negotiator Kathleen Reardon engagingly describes how to expand on negotiation strategies and develop language skills to enhance success in negotiation. The book is filled with real-life examples revealing how to detect subtleties in manner and speech that negotiation novices fail to notice. You'll learn how to identify the 'choice points' that occur during negotiations, how to influence and redirect the conversation to address what you need and ultimately get what you want. The author helps you:
- Identify your negotiation style and its limitations
- Use language strategically whether you're being subtle or direct
- Recognize deception and manage it
- Position and persuade artfully
- Effectively negotiate one-on-one and in teams
- Deal constructively with your own and others—heated emotions
|Product dimensions:||6.30(w) x 9.39(h) x 1.02(d)|
Table of Contents
1. Defining the Art.
2. A Versatile Frame of Mind.
3. Preparation and Planning.
4. Prioritizing Issues, Setting and Revising Goals.
5. Ethical Considerations.
6. The Persuasive Opening.
7. Persuasion Strategy Choices.
8. The Role of Power.
9. When the Discussion Gets Stalled or Heated.
10. Taking Negotiation Talents Global.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
Kathleen Kelley Reardon's book is packed with smart, solid advice. It is well suited for experienced, patient negotiators. She brings an impressive level of knowledge to the table. Reardon makes a fine point about the need to match one's delivery to the audience and the situation, and then ¿ like a chef who just keeps cooking ¿ repeatedly offers the reader extra hefty servings of information to digest. Like a solid restaurant dinner, this is often a good thing ¿ the book is truly packed with useful information ¿ but it is sometimes challenging, particularly for beginners. Novices may be daunted, for instance, by the list of 64 different persuasive strategies a top tactician might use. Most of these approaches are worthwhile, but Reardon really did rustle up this buffet for her title audience, 'skilled negotiators.' We find her tactics, theories and specific suggestions focused, intelligent and well researched. Penetrating readers will harvest lots of substance to enrich their negotiation practices. And beginners, well, you'll have a lot to digest.