This important book is a deep exploration of the relevance and workings of archetypes in our lives and our work as it leads us along an archetypal developmental map to our authentic, natural self; to integrating our innate value, worth, and true authority; and to attaining our “Treasure Within."
Seasoned therapists Diane Steinbrecher and Shannon Pernetti offer this well-written, carefully structured, creatively illustrated guide as a “treasure” map to the unfolding of our infinite potential. With The Treasure Within, they build on the work of giants in the fields of psychology and psychotherapy such as Carl Jung, Erich Neumann, and Michael Conforti, and they add to the growing understanding of archetypal dynamics at play in the world. For example, they use Erich Neumann’s Archetypal Developmental Theory of consciousness and the application of Archetypal Pattern Analysis to light the way for exploring our archetypal alignments and the patterns they have created in our life—and they show us how to shift those alignments and patterns into a new, more generative way of being. Specifically, re-integrating the aspects of self left behind during our early life allows a shift that can lead into the later stages of adult development, bringing forth our rich potential and “Gaining the Treasure” of our soul, its many gifts and true purpose in life.
Organized into five main parts, The Treasure Within:
- Begins with the foundational theories of Archetypal Pattern Analysis: archetypes, archetypal alignments, field theory, and patterns.
- Delves into Erich Neumann’s Archetypal Developmental Theory of the unconscious and features examples of how this applies to our life and work through integrating unconscious patterns.
- Explores different aspects of unconscious communication including dreams, images, narrative stories, and synchronicities along with how the wisdom of the body expresses our belief systems and patterns and can present through disease processes.
- Highlights the specific capacities and perspectives of each developmental stage of both researched adult development and Neumann’s archetypal development map of the unconscious.
- Synthesizes the many contributions to Archetypal Pattern Analysis by various domains of knowledge such as somatic work, the New Sciences (complexity theory, systems theory, chaos theory, and self-organizing systems), patterns in nature, neurobiology and epigenetics, and the world’s spiritual wisdom traditions.
- And closes with two appendices—one focused on mindfulness and mindful awarenss, supportive practices for the later stages of development, and one geared specificially toward therapists.
Clinicians as well as interested laypersons will come away from reading this rare book with insights into how to attain and richly experience the Treasure of Life and how to express the numerous gifts we each have to contribute to humanity.
|Product dimensions:||7.00(w) x 10.00(h) x 0.95(d)|
About the Author
Shannon Pernetti is an Archetypal Pattern Analyst and Integral Therapist who has been in private practice in Portland, Oregon, since 1975. Working with Dr. Michael Conforti since 1995, she co-teaches "Fundamentals and Application of Archetypal Pattern Analysis" in workshops and monthly training and application groups and is on the faculty of the Assisi Institute: The International Center for the Study of Archetypal Patterns. Shannon also is a Nondual Therapist and a Radiant Mind Coach. A skilled group facilitator, Shannon is a co-founder of Opening to Life, a Healing Arts Center in Portland, Oregon, and she is a Founding Board Member of Returning Veterans Project. She offers therapy, consultation, training, and supervision. Her work focuses on shifting core patterns and archetypal alignments to facilitate a fundamental unity with the Self. Shannon can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Table of Contents
PART ONE: Foundational Theories 23
1 Introduction to Archetypal Pattern Analysis 25
2 The Mystery of the Archetypal Domain 31
3 The Archetype of the Container and Archetypal Alignments 39
4 Patterns in the Natural World and the Psyche 45
5 The Profound Influence of Fields 59
PART TWO: Erich Neumann’s Archetypal Developmental Theory: Individuation and the Ego-Self Journey 75
6 Neumann’s Archetypal Exploration of Individuation 77
7 Neumann’s Creation Myths 91
8 Neumann’s Hero Myths 111
9 Neumann’s Transformation Myths 121
10 Archetypal Developmental Stages of Life 131
PART THREE: Application of Erich Neumann’s Archetypal Developmental Theory: Rescuing the Captive to Gain the Treasure 135
11 Rescuing the Captive: Its Importance to Living Our Full Potential 137
12 Application of Rescuing the Captive in Neumann’s Creation Myths 143
13 Application of Rescuing the Captive in Neumann’s Hero Myths 175
14 Application of Rescuing the Captive in Neumann’s 199
15 The Archetypal Approach to Gaining the Treasure 205
PART FOUR: The Unconscious Expression of the Psyche 211
16 Working with Pre-Cognitive Experience: Implicit Memory 213
17 The Archetypal Nature of Attachment 225
18 Early Development’s Relationship with Our Journey to the Treasure 233
19 Unconscious Communication: Translating the Expression of the Psyche 243
20 Images Appearing in Dreams, Visions, and Daydreams in Each Archetypal Stage 265
21 The Wisdom of the Body 281
22 Life Fields and Death Fields 291
PART FIVE: Three Parallel Maps of Development 299
23 Three Models of Developmental Knowledge 301
24 Evaluating Developmental Stages 323
25 The Difficult Transitions Between Stages 333
26 Attaining the Later Stages Held in Potential 339
27 Challenges of the Later Stages 347
28 Unfolding Our Infinite Potential with a Generative Inner Refuge 353
A Supportive Practices for the Later Stages of Development 367
B For Practitioners 377
About the Authors 465