The Truth About Managing People ... and Nothing but the Truth rips away the hype, fads, and clichés that keep managers from seeing the world as it actually is. Stephen P. Robbins, the world's #1 selling management textbook author, has distilled the results of thousands of research studies on human behavior into over 60 proven "truths" that can transform how you manage peopleand the results you achieve.
Drawing on the world's best research on the subject, Robbins delivers no-holds-barred advice and specific tactics for hiring, motivation, leadership, communication, team-building, coping with change, job design, performance evaluation, handling conflicts, and much more. From start to finish, The Truth About Managing People ... and Nothing but the Truth offers wisdom and techniques you'll be profiting from long after today's management fads are forgotten.
- Are happy employees better employees?
- Why satisfaction and effectiveness don't necessary correlate
- Are experienced leaders better leaders?
- When experience is relevantand when it isn't
- Why "traits" don't predict employee success-and what does
- How you behave matters more than who you are
- Why teams often create negative synergy
- How to reduce the impact of "social loafing"and build teams that really work
- Does participatory management really work?
- Who wants to participateand who doesn't?
- Four job-design changes that can dramatically improve productivity
- Key improvements you can start making right now
- The truth about hiring, motivating, and evaluating employees
- The truth about teamwork, participatory management, and communication
- The truth about coping with change, conflict, and layoffs
- The truth about leadership and human behavior
What do we knowreally knowabout management? What's proven to work? What conventional wisdom has proven to be utterly worthless? In a nutshell, what's the best way to manage people to get the results you're after? Now, Stephen P. Robbinsone of the world's leading management experts and the world's #1 selling management textbook authordistills today's most important management research into 64 principles you can use right now!
Along the way, you'll discover how to overcome the real obstacles to teamwork; why too much communication can be as dangerous as too little; how to improve your hiring and employee evaluations; how to heal "layoff survivor sickness"; even how to "learn charisma."
This isn't just "someone's opinion": It's the first, definitive, evidence-based guide to effective management. In The Truth About Managing People ... and Nothing but the Truth, Robbins delivers bedrock principles you can rely on, regardless of your organization, role, or title, throughout your entire management career.
|Publisher:||Financial Times/Prentice Hall Books|
|Edition description:||Special Edition|