How to get ahead in business today!
Everyone in the business world needs to know the "rules of success", whether worker or management honcho. The problem is, those rules keep changing inside tips are a necessity! It's no longer enough to work hard to succeed being politically savvy, following the rules of business etiquette, and knowing the secrets to climbing a ladder with many, many rungs are all crucial to corporate health. In The Unofficial Guide to Climbing the Corporate Ladder readers learn about:
- Giving and receiving constructive criticism gracefully
- Business communications exactly how private are they?
- Networking in the office and out, including avoiding sticky situations
- International business what to talk about and what to avoid on trips abroad
- Determining who your office friends really are before you find the letter opener stuck in your back
About the Author
About the Author Jack Griffin is an Atlanta-based writer specializing in business communication, marketing topics, and corporate history. A former university professor and publishing executive, Mr. Griffin has served as an adviser to top federal officials, presented speeches to a variety of corporate and service organizations, and worked as a communications consultant and speechwriter to customer service organizations, sales forces of major corporations, and motivational speakers. He is president of a consulting firm serving cultural institutions and publishers. Mr. Griffin is the author of The Complete Handbook of Model Business Letters, How to Say It Best; The Business Speaker's Almanac; The Do-It-Yourself Business Promotions Kit; The Lifetime Guide to Business Speaking and Writing; How to Say It at Work: Putting Yourself Across with Power Words; Phrases, Body Language, and Communication Secrets; How to Say It from the Heart: Putting Yourself Across with Power Words; Phrases, Body Language, and Communication Secrets; and other books.
Table of Contents
The Unofficial Guide Reader's Bill of Rights.
The Unofficial Guide Panel of Experts.
I. Strictly Personal.
1. Cube Roots: The Basics of Today's Corporate Climb.
2. Fitting In and Standing Out.
3. Uncommon Courtesy.
II. Beyond Yadda YaddaEffective Communication.
4. Getting Your Message Across.
5. Big Results from Small Talk.
6. Meaningful MeetingsNot an Oxymoron.
7. Busy Signals.
8. Letters Perfect.
9. Putting Yourself Across Online.
III. Dealing with (and Being) the Boss.
10. Who's the Boss?
11. On Loyalty and Leadership.
12. Using the Carrots and the Sticks.
IV. Let the Games Begin.
13. The Good, the Bad, the Ugly.
14. Office Diplomacy.
15. Old Boys and Glass Ceilings.
16. Office Romance: The Most Dangerous Game?
V. The Savvy Schmoozer.
17. An Out-of-Office Experience.
18. Please Don't Drink the Finger Bowl.
VI. Promoting Yourself.
19. Movin' On Up.
20. Movin' On Out.
B. Resource Guide.
C. Recommended Reading.
D. Important Documents.
E. Important Statistics.