About the Author
Clark Kerr was President Emeritus and former Chancellor and Professor Emeritus at the University of California, Berkeley. He is the former Chair of the Carnegie Commission (and later Council) on Higher Education, and the former Chair and Director of the National Commission on Strengthening Presidential Leadership under the auspices of the Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges.
Table of Contents
Preface, 2001: A New Century for Higher Education
1. The Idea of a Multiversity
2. The Realities of the Federal Grant University
3. The Future of the City of Intellect
4. Reconsiderations after the Revolts of the 1960's
5. Attempted Reforms That Failed
6. Commentaries on the Golden Age of the Research University
7. A New Age? From Increasing Federal Riches to Increasing State Poverty
8. Hard Choices
9. The "City of Intellect" in a Century for the Foxes?
What People are Saying About This
An updated classic written by one of the legendary figures in American higher education. Each new edition has contained important and accurate predictions. The fourth edition will be no exception.