M. R. James (1862–1936) is probably best remembered as a writer of chilling ghost stories, but he was an outstanding scholar of medieval literature and palaeography, who served both as Provost of King's College, Cambridge, and as Director of the Fitzwilliam Museum, and many of his stories reflect his academic background. His detailed descriptive catalogues of manuscripts owned by colleges, cathedrals and museums are still of value to scholars today. James' catalogue of the extensive manuscript holdings of Trinity College was first published in four volumes between 1900 and 1904, the final volume consisting of plates and an index. Now reissued, it will be welcomed by librarians and researchers alike.
|Publisher:||Cambridge University Press|
|Series:||Cambridge Library Collection - History of Printing, Publishing and Libraries Series|
|Product dimensions:||5.98(w) x 9.02(h) x 1.30(d)|
Table of Contents
1. Preface; 2. Description of Plates; 3. Addenda to the manuscripts; 4. Addenda and Corrigenda; Index; Catalogue of Manuscripts.