There's Room for Me Here: Literacy Workshop in the Middle Schoolby Janet Allen
- LendMe LendMe™ Learn More
What do you do with students who cannot or will not read and write? This portrait of Kyle Gonzalez's classroom offers teachers theory-based strategies for helping students become motivated and successful readers and writers. You will see how one middle school teacher sets up her literacy classroom, offers intervention and support for struggling students, and assesses their progress. Rich in description of Kyle's successes, the book also looks honestly at why some practices were ineffective in her setting.
With Janet's and Kyle's practical and detailed suggestions for creating a literate environment, you'll learn how to:
- establish a literacy workshop;
- choose and use effective resources;
- implement effective, informative record-keeping;
- help students establish goals and assess progress;
- use read-alouds as well as shared, guided, and independent reading and writing;
- instill reading and writing practices that help students read content-specific texts.
There's Room for Me Here includes record-keeping forms, extensive bibliographies of literature and professional materials, resource information, and samples of strategy lessons all embedded in this engaging story of a teacher's first three years building a literacy workshop in her classroom.
Kyle's students are middle school learners who struggle with literacy. The strategies, content-area connections, and management ideas, however, are applicable and appropriate for use by any 3-12 teacher.
- Stenhouse Publishers
- Publication date:
- Sold by:
- Barnes & Noble
- NOOK Book
- File size:
- 6 MB
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews
Danielle brown is a *****
LOVE THIS BOOK