It has now been adopted by The College of Business Administration at the University of Central Florida for their Professional Development classes.
Here is the challenge - Most college students, recent graduates and even people in their late twenties and early thirties do not know what they really want to do.
If you are not excited about pursuing any specific type of job and career it is very difficult to develop yourself into a job winning candidate. This is true whether you are after your first career job or a promotion. You can't hit a target if you don't have a target. You also won't have the passion & motivation to make enough effort to do so.
This is why employers specifically look for your drive to set yourself goals and take the necessary actions to develop yourself. They know that without these, it is unlikely you will have built your relevance to their needs prior to joining, and equally unlikely that you will do so after joining. The statistics speak for themselves.
Over 80% of students graduate with no job lined up and 49% of graduates take longer than 2 years to land a career job. Over 20% lose their first job or quit in less than 6 months. Over 70% of ALL employees languish for long periods feeling unengaged or disengaged, under perform as a result, and are unlikely to get promoted.
This guide will show you how to get the information you need so you can decide what you want to do and how to develop your ideal fit for your jobs of choice. It will teach you the interpersonal skills to communicate your relevance so that you stand out from the crowd and trigger a "This Is Who We Want!" reaction when you meet employers.
Statistics also show that succeeding in the job is just as hard as landing it. Taking a long time to land a job only to dislike it or lose it quickly is so futile! The Job Cycle therefore also extends into how to perform well in the job, not get fired, develop leadership capabilities, and get promoted.
This book can also be applied to selecting, managing and leading your own team.
Most books stop at getting the job. This "two in one" book provides a continuous process that ensures you not only land the job of your dreams but succeed in it. You can revisit and repeat this process to secure your first career job and every promotion thereafter. It will take you all the way to the top.
FIRST - HOW TO GET A JOB YOU ENJOY
Learn how to;
- Build the interpersonal skills to make people like and trust you
- Network to get information, introductions and find jobs and promotion opportunities
- Identify the top priority responsibilities and challenges in any job opportunity
- Develop the top ten skills and attitudes those employers specifically search for
- Build relevant profiles on social media such as LinkedIn using "key words"
- Write targeted high impact resumes that will get you an interview
- Connect with the interviewer and avoid a personality clash
- Prepare for and answer critical questions to succeed in the interview
- Prompt them to make you an offer and negotiate a better one
SECOND - HOW TO SUCCEED IN A JOB AND GET PROMOTED
- What you must do on the day you join
- Understand an employer's expectations from you and how to outperform them
- What to do if a job is not going well
- Develop mentors and raving references you can count on your entire career
- Learn a process to consistently solve problems and complete difficult tasks
- Develop your persuasive skills
- Build management and leadership skills plus learn how and when to apply them
- Three strategies for getting promoted you must have at all times
Follow the steps in this book to build a dream and make it a reali