Did authors of Second Temple texts concern themselves with 'salvation'? If so, on what terms? What does one need 'salvation' from? Are the parameters of who is included in or excluded from 'salvation' defined? Gurtner's vision in compiling this collection is to gather contributions on a single topic as it is addressed in individual books from the Second Temple period. Working from a sound methodological basis the contributors assess the theme in different books, acknowledging that the approaches in each text are different, depending on issues of genre and provenance. This allows an acute comparison of how this topic is present across a myriad of Second Temple Jewish texts. Throughout the course of the work the notion of "soteriology" is very broadly conceived. Whilst acknowledging the obviously Christian connotation of the term 'soteriology' the volume similarly acknowledges the usefulness of the term as an heuristic category for careful analysis.
About the Author
Daniel M. Gurtner is Associate Professor of New Testament at Bethel Seminary, St Paul, USA. Among his publications are The Torn Veil: Matthew's Exposition of the Death of Jesus (SNTSMS 139; 2007).
Table of Contents
Introduction Daniel M. Gurtner
1. "'Waiting for His Deliverance': The Story of Salvation in Judith" Michael F. Bird
2. "God's Great Deeds of Deliverance: Soteriology in 3 Maccabees" J.R.C. Cousland
3. "Traveling The Royal Road: The Soteriology of Philo of Alexandria" Ronald R. Cox
4."The Hermeneutic of Grace: The Soteriology of Pseudo-Philo's Biblical Antiquities" Preston M. Sprinkle
5. "Deliverance and Justice: Soteriology in the Book of Daniel" Lorenzo DiTommaso
6. "On a Wing and a Prayer: The Soteriology of the Apocalypse of Abraham" John C. Poirier
7. "The Few Who Obtain Mercy: Soteriology in 4 Ezra" Jonathan Moo
8. "On the Other Side of Disaster: Soteriology in 2 Baruch" Daniel M. Gurtner
9. "Personal Salvation and Rigorous Obedience: The Soteriology of 2 Enoch" Grant Macaskill
10. "Enduring the Lord's Discipline: Soteriology in the Psalms of Solomon" Kenneth Atkinson
11. "'Saved by Wisdom' (Wis. 9:18): Soteriology in the Wisdom of Solomon" Daniel J. Harrington, S.J.
12. "Survival at the End of Days: Aspects of Soteriology in the Dead Sea Scrolls Pesharim" Alex Jassen
13. "Salvation through Emulation: Facets of Jubilean Soteriology at Qumran" Ian Werrett
14. "Grace, Works and Destiny: Salvation in Qumran's Community Rule (1QS/4QS)" Markus Bockmuehl
Targumim and Rabbinic
15. "Messianic Redemption: Soteriology in the Targum Jonathan to the Former and Latter Prophets" Bruce D. Chilton
16. "The Restoration of Israel: Soteriology in Rabbinic Judaism" Jacob Neusner
Conclusion George W.E. Nickelsburg