The Tiburon Peninsula was once a part of the vast El Rancho Corte Madera Del Presidio, owned by generations of the pioneering Reed family, whose dairies colonized the rolling grasslands and willow groves of Tiburon, Belvedere, and Strawberry. Nearby Angel Island was militarized during the Civil War, later supporting an immigration station, and finally, a state historic park. Tiburon became the steaming, smoking terminus of the Northwestern Pacific Railroad, with ferries and trains dominating its industry for over 80 years until the opening of the Golden Gate Bridge signaled the end of the rail era. Slowly regaining its original serenity, the peninsula attracted urban refugees seeking a quiet haven by the bay, and new upscale residential neighborhoods and tourist magnets gradually filled in the gentle landscape.
|Publisher:||Arcadia Publishing SC|
|Series:||Images of America Series|
|Product dimensions:||6.54(w) x 9.26(h) x 0.36(d)|
About the Author
Author Branwell Fanning, now Tiburon’s official historian, played an integral role in Tiburon’s incorporation as Marin County’s newest city in 1964 and served several terms on the town council, twice as mayor. Also a world traveler, travel writer, and professional photographer, he draws on his own archives as well those of the Belvedere Tiburon Landmark Society, the Angel Island Association, and the Morrison collection to set the itinerary for this photographic journey through time.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
This is a quality book. The author was thoroughly familiar with Tiburon's past and present plus, he had access to photographs going back to the mid-1800's. More than 200 historic photos were elaborated in a relaxed, conversational writing style that belied the great care that must have gone into this project. The subject matter encompassed the 'Tiburon community', including: 1. a 4-mile long peninsula in San Francisco Bay: the Tiburon Peninsula, 2. two adjacent islands connected by causeways: Belvedere and Angel Island, and 3. a mini-peninsula: Strawberry. The total population is roughly 15,000, with about half residing within the town of Tiburon. The peninsula's history is fascinating. In 1837, a Mexican ally, John Reed, was granted title to the whole area and he and his son built dairy ranches. But overtime, the area's economy gravitated towards the building of train locomotives and ferries. In the decades since WWII, developers have gradually transformed Tiburon into an affluent residential community--although some of its original buildings remain. When looking at the old pictures of the land, buildings, and inhabitants, one senses that the area had character. Fortunately, while Mr. Fanning worked for forty years as a travel agent/writer, realtor, and small town politician, he culled and refined anecdotes related to Tiburon. His comments, and the photos, supplement each other well, so that a place, a time, and its people have been remarkably preserved.