Intricate and inventive, these 30 full-page designs are drawn from the vibrant patterns that have adorned Indian clothing and decorative objects for centuries. Motifs include birds and animals, folkloric characters, abstract florals, paisley patterns, and other bold designs. Colorists of all ages will thrill to the challenge of bringing these black-and-white patterns to vivid life.
Table of Contents
1. Center panel: painted ceiling decorationtomb of Itmad-ud-Daulah, Agra. Side panels: stencil design.
2. Vase design, Mughal India.
3. Center: stencil design. Border: chikankari embroidery design
4. Center: Rangoli design, Mandana, Gujarat. Bottom border: design from Bihar.
5. Borders: stencil design. Center: detail, scroll painting, West Bengal.
6. Border: detail, fresco and mosaictomb of Jahangir, Lahore. Center area: wood and ivory mosaicGolden Temple, Amritsar.
7. "Jagannath, Baladev, and Manika the Milkmaid"Paata painting from Orissa.
8. Top: Kolam design, Bengal. Border: chikankari embroidery design. Bottom center: card design, Madhubani, Bihar.
9. Bukhani, Gujurat.
10. Toran decorated with gods, animals, and flowersnorthwestern India.
11. Kohbar on handmade paper, treated with cow dungMadhubani.
12. Design on inlaid tray, Agra.
13. "Striped Lion with Flowers"painting on paper from Mithila region, Bihar, India.
14. "Lanka Dahan" painting on handmade paper, Madhubani, Bihar.
15. Motif from illuminated manuscriptMughal India.
16. "Goddess Sarasvati and Her Peacock"second folio from a Chitrakathi series, northern Karnataka.
17. "Amrit Manthan" painting on handmade paper, Madhubani, Bihar.
18. Top of enameled box, Jaipur, India.
19. Center: base of rosewater sprinkler, northern India. Bottom border: Niello ornament.
20. Wall painting, Rajasthan.
21. Part of a scroll painting illustrating a folk legend, used as a prop in storytelling performancesWest Bengal, around 1800.
22. Center: woodcut design, West Bengal. Border: chikankari embroidery design.
23. Embroidery on silk, Gujarat.
24. Wall hanging, Gujarat
25. Design from a Chitrakathi folio, northern Karnataka.
26. Inlaid brass panel, Jhang, Punjab.
27. Center: wood and ivory mosaic designGolden Temple, Amritsar. Circle border: pottery design, Bombay School of Art. Bottom: Marwar-pattern Hindu neck ornament
28. Wood and ivory mosaic, Golden Temple, Amritsar.
29. Design for textile printing, Andhra Pradesh.
30. Fragment of a scroll painting depicting episodes in a Bengali version of the RamayanaWest Bengal, early 19th century.