Trailhead is a witty, fun guide to all things trail running. Veteran trail runner, triathlete, and adventure racer Lisa Jhung offers this illustrated pocket guide to all runners curious about running off road or wanting to run farther into the backcountry. She offers authoritative advice on everything from how to find good trails to run, how to choose the best shoes and clothing, how to carry enough water, and how to stay safe from wildlife and weather.
- The allure: Why trail running is good for body and mind
- The essentials: Finding good trails, choosing the best trail running gear, handling trail and weather conditions, what you need to know about nutrition and hydration
- Safety: How to treat (and avoid) common trail running injuries, first aid, animal safety
- Etiquette: Right of way, preserving the trail, when nature calls
- Company: Running alone, with friends, with dogsor burros!
- Stronger, faster: At-home exercises to enhance your running
- Going long: Preparing for longer trail runs or trail races
Trailhead is a smart, entertaining read as well as a thorough resource for everyone from aspiring trail runners to those looking to get the most out of every trail run, whether in a city park or on a mountain adventure.
|Product dimensions:||5.00(w) x 7.00(h) x 0.60(d)|
About the Author
Lisa Jhung is a veteran trail runner, triathlete, adventure racer, and journalist. She is a contributing editor for Runner's World and is the Runner's World trail running columnist. Lisa has also worked as an editor at Trail Runner magazine and was a co-founding editor of Adventure Sports magazine. Her features, training stories, gear reviews, profiles and travel pieces have appeared in Backpacker , Details , Fitness , Inside Triathlon , Men's Journal , Runner's World , Shape , Outside , Women's Running , and Triathlete.
Read an Excerpt
Table of Contents
Welcome to the Trail
1 Why: Your Body
2 Why: Your Mind
3 How: Where to Go
4 How: Gear
5 How: Conditions
6 How: Nutrition
7 Safety: Animals
8 Safety: First Aid
10 Company: Running with Human or Animal Friends
11: How, Part II: Getting Stronger and Faster
12: How, Part II: Trail Racing
About the Author and Illustrator