This comprehensive field guide will be an essential resource for every school leader charged with fostering the healthy development and academic success of students.
About the Author
Edward T. Joyner, Ed.D., is the Executive Director of the Yale School Development Program. He served as the SDP's first director of training, was the original designer of the SDP Leadership Development Academies, and initiated university-public school partnerships to strengthen local school reform efforts. He is the architect of the SDP's systemic initiative to coordinate the work of the school board, central office, building staff, and the larger school community to create an optimal environment for teaching and learning throughout each school district. He currently oversees all of the operations of the Yale School Development Program and serves as the lead implementation coordinator for New York.
Michael Ben-Avie directs the Impact Analysis and Strategies Group, which studies corporate, nonprofit, and government partnerships that promote youth development and student learning. He conducts national studies designed to evaluate the effectiveness of mentoring programs and psychological interventions on children's lifepaths. He has co-edited books about the Yale School Development Program with James P. Comer and colleagues, and has published numerous book chapters, journal articles, and reports on educational change initiatives, high schools, parent involvement, and the relationship between youth development and student learning.
James P. Comer, M.D., is the founder and chairman of the Yale School Development Program, Maurice Falk Professor of Child Psychiatry at the Yale Child Study Center, and Associate Dean of the Yale University School of Medicine. He has been the recipient of the Grawemeyer Award in Education, the John and Mary Markle Scholar in Academic Medicine Award, the Rockefeller Public Service Award, the Harold W. Mc Graw, Jr., Prize in Education, the Charles A. Dana Award for Pioneering Achievement in Education, the Heinz Award for Service to Humanity, and many other awards and honors, including 41 honorary degrees.
Table of Contents
Preface - Edward T. Joyner
About the Authors
1. Introducing the Comer Process to the Faculty for the First Time - J. Patrick Howley and Michael Ben-Avie
2. Essential Understandings of the Yale School Development Program: A Reference Guide to the Comer Process - Michael Ben-Avie, Edward T. Joyner, and James P. Comer
3. The School Planning and Management Team (SPMT): The Engine That Drives the School - Miriam Mc Laughlin, Everol Ennis, and Fred Hernandez
4. Identifying the Problem You Are Trying to Solve with the Comer Process - Su Anne Lawrence, Michelle Adler Morrison, Michael Ben-Avie, Jonathon H. Gillette, and Gretchen Myhre
5. All Decisions Must Be Made in the Best Interests of Children: SDP's Most Important Standard - Michael Ben-Avie, Trudy Raschkind Steinfeld, and James P. Comer
6. Designing the Comprehensive School Plan - Valerie Maholmes
7. School Planning and Management Team (SPMT) Subcommittees: Where the Work of the Comprehensive School Plan Gets Done - Malcolm N. Adler and Jan Stocklinski with contributions by J. Patrick Howley, Sherrie Berrien Joseph, and the Comer Staff of Prince George's County Public Schools, Maryland
8. Community Investment in Schools - Larry Dornell Burgess
9. Forging Strong Home, School, and Community Links - Michael Ben-Avie
10. Families as Partners: Parent Teams and Parent/Family Involvement - Sheila Jackson, Nora Martin, and Jan Stocklinski
11. The Student and Staff Support Team (SSST) and the Coordination of Student Services: "Nine Different People Were Helping One Child" - William T. Brown and Sherrie Berrien Joseph
12. The Student and Staff Support Team (SSST) and Child Development - Felicia D. Gil
13. The Students Have Ruled That "School Should Not Hurt ": One Comer School's Approach to Bullying and Other Student Interpersonal Problems - William T. Brown and Rebecca Werner
14. Letters from an Experienced Facilitator: Promoting a Team Approach to Educational Change - Vivian Loseth and the Youth Guidance Staff, Chicago
15. The Comer Facilitator and Teaming Skills for Meetings - The Yale School Development Program Staff
16. SDP Facilitators Model Communication Excellence - Trudy Raschkind Steinfeld and Michael Ben-Avie
17. Making Decisions: Reaching Consensus in Team Meetings - Michael Ben-Avie, Trudy Raschkind Steinfeld, and James P. Comer
18. The School Development Program (SDP) Implementation Life Cycle: A Roadmap to Planned Change - Edward T. Joyner
Role Expectation Cards
Foreword - Michael Fullan