- Pub. Date:
- Oxford University Press, USA
Depression is a common problem for individuals in their senior years. Conservative estimates suggest that more than five million seniors over 65 are suffering from severe depression. How can you help your older clients manage depressed mood?
This Therapist Guide outlines a three-phase program based on the principles of cognitive-behavioral therapy. Designed specifically for use with older adults, this treatment generally is delivered over the course of 16 - 20 sessions. In Phase 1 of the intervention, clients are introduced to the program and are encouraged to develop goals for therapy. The focus of Phase 2 is on helping the client acquire the cognitive and behavioral skills needed to meet the therapy goals. It is during this phase that clients learn the benefits of participating in pleasant activities, how to challenge negative thinking, how to manage feelings of anger and frustration through relaxation, and how to improve communication skills. Phase 3 deals with termination and how to maintain the gains obtained in therapy.
Step-by-step instructions for administering therapy are provided in a user-friendly format, along with information on screening and assessment. A separate chapter on age-related issues that may affect treatment guides you through potentially difficult clinical situations. Complete with sample dialogues, at-home assignments, and lists of materials needed, this comprehensive guide includes all the tools necessary for facilitating effective treatment.
TreatmentsThatWork TM represents the gold standard of behavioral healthcare interventions!
· All programs have been rigorously tested in clinical trials and are backed by years of research
· A prestigious scientific advisory board, led by series Editor-In-Chief David H. Barlow, reviews and evaluates each intervention to ensure that it meets the highest standard of evidence so you can be confident that you are using the most effective treatment available to date
· Our books are reliable and effective and make it easy for you to provide your clients with the best care available
· Our corresponding workbooks contain psychoeducational information, forms and worksheets, and homework assignments to keep clients engaged and motivated
· A companion website (www.oup.com/us/ttw) offers downloadable clinical tools and helpful resources
· Continuing Education (CE) Credits are now available on select titles in collaboration with PsychoEducational Resources, Inc. (PER)
|Publisher:||Oxford University Press, USA|
|Edition description:||New Edition|
|Product dimensions:||6.80(w) x 9.80(h) x 0.50(d)|