This story is told by a young girl named Annie. Her grandfather's home is her school house. Her grandfather is her teacher.
One day after school, Annie meets a toad named Ike in her grandfather's garden. That night her grandfather leaves on a sailing ship. Annie and Ike attempt to follow him in a small boat. They fall asleep and lose track of him during the night. They wake up the next day to find a world filled with many unusual creatures.
As she tries to find her grandfather, she meets many of these creatures. Some are good. Some are bad. Some have lost their minds. A few are evil.
In her first escape from evil, Annie makes friends with several creatures who then travel with her. Her main companions are Crazy Tina Turkey, Henry Horse, and Rita Reindeer.
Along the way, she meets many other creatures and people. Some help her. Some slow her down. A few cause her to change direction.
Near the end of the third day, she finds the sailing ship and her grandfather. She and her friends join him in a battle against an evil army.
About the Author
He was born in Wisconsin. He earned a BS degree in mathematics from the UW-Stevens Point. He moved to Michigan after college. For most of his career, he was a computer programmer.
His early interests were science, reading science fiction, and playing the guitar. Later in life, his world revolved around his wife, his four boys, and his job.
His books are youthful fantasy adventures filled with suspense and humor. They also emphasize the strength of the family and the power of education.
Everyone from grandparents to grandchildren can read and enjoy his books.
Table of Contents1. My Days with Grandfather or Grandfather's Imagination
2. The Talking Toad or Turning on My Ears
3. Five Card Draw or The Midnight Ship
With My Ears Turned On or
I Am Not a Duck
4. Knots Away or Paddle by Pedal
5. I Am Not a Duck or Skunked
6. Wobbly Wagon Ride or Go Directly to Jail
7. Ike Escapes or Crazy Jail
8. A Fine Retreat or Fined Again
9. Judgment Job Fair or Collared
10. Pooper Scooping or Talking Mushrooms
11. The Eyes Have It or Potato Escape
12. Let Freedom Ring or Smell Like a Duck
13. Brain Surgery or Crazy Turkey
14. Piggy Curious or War Stories
15. "Not So Crazy" Turkey or If Pigs Could Fly
16. Travels Plans or Sneaking Out of Town
Traveling Companions or
My Farm Adventures
17. Flowing Words or The Right Direction
18. Riverside Breakfast or Feather and Tail
19. Ant Picnic or A Stitching Conversation
20. River Crossing or Bird Travel Advice
21. Feather Fare or Apple Aboard
22. Train Ride or Food for Thought
23. Going to Town or Jiggity Log
24. Home Again or Sharing
25. A Real Lunch or Duck Tales
26. Dishwashing News or Off to War
27. Lazy Forgetfulness or Farm Life
28. Bird Brain or Chicken Soup
29. Turkey Shoot or The Right Balance
30. Milking Moos or Bee Good
31. A Filling Supper or Musical Movements
32. Ryan Returns or Surprise Attack
33. Critical Thinking or No Cinch Adventure
Slingshot Warriors or
My Warrior Adventures
34. Where Are We? or Slingshot Strategy
35. Tale Ahead or Disappearing Act
36. Cross That Bridge When We Come to It or Food with Thoughts
37. Out Foxing Wolves or River Helps
38. Catch-Up Battle or Direction Decisions
39. Leaves in the Wind or A Ticklish Disguise
40. A Ticklish Entrance or An Insightful Inciting Speech
41. I Am Not a Duck or Jailed Again
42. Untied, But Not Free or Fellow Jailbirds
43. Hypnotized? or Acting Out
44. Pooper Scooping Again or Stampede
45. Following the Enemy or Pirate Ship Spotted
46. Ready Or Not or Here We Come
47. Surprise Return or A Sting in Time
48. The Battle Begins or Bursting Bubbles
49. A New Battle Plan or Reinforcements
50. Suspenders Slingshot or Flying Reindeer
51. A Little Rain Must Fall or Family Reunions
52. Flying Lessons or Goodbye My Friends
53. At Dream's End or Parting Thoughts