Understanding Basic Statistics: Concepts and Methods / Edition 2 available in Paperback
- Pub. Date:
- Houghton Mifflin Company College Division
Designed specifically to present the core topics offered in a one-semester statistics course without overwhelming introductory students, Understanding Basic Statistics, 2/e, includes material on descriptive statistics, probability, estimation, and hypothesis testing, with clear, early coverage of linear regression. Carefully chosen problems throughout the text, drawn from a variety of disciplines and labeled for easy access, enable students to use real data to draw conclusions and interpret results. Working through high-interest, relevant exercises, students are encouraged to apply their knowledge and to see how statistics affects their daily lives. The authors carefully guide students through the material with step-by-step instructions, guided exercises, and technology tips, and a wealth of supplements print, software, and video enhances both teaching and learning.
- ViewPoints, brief essays presenting diverse situations in which statistics are used, appear before each section problem set. Many of these essays refer students to a web site for further exploration.
- The text is available with the student version of Minitab software as well as with a text-specific ComputerStat disk. Students learn the power and efficiency of manipulating large sets of imported data, analyzing the information, and interpreting the results.
- Using Technology Sections, featuring a variety of data for analysis using a computer software program or a graphing calculator, include screen displays from Minitab and the TI-83 calculator, ComputerStat, and new material on Excel.
- Additional features include Guided Exercises withcompletely worked-out solutions, Linking Concepts writing exercises, Data Highlights group projects, and Calculator Notes.