Get it by Thursday, February 22
, Order now and choose Expedited Delivery during checkout.
Same Day delivery in Manhattan. Details
In 1794, two years before Tennessee became a state, the legislature of the Southwest Territory chartered Blount College in Knoxville as one of the first three colleges established west of the Appalachian Mountains. In 1807, the school changed its name to East Tennessee College. The school relocated to a 40-acre tract, known today as "the Hill," in 1828 and was renamed East Tennessee University in 1840. The Civil War literally shut down the university. Students and faculty were recruited to serve on battlefields, and troops used campus facilities as hospitals and barracks. In 1869, East Tennessee University became the state's land-grant institution under the auspices of the 1862 Morrill Act. In 1879, the state legislature changed the name of the institution to the University of Tennessee. By the early 20th century, the university admitted women, hosted teacher institutes, and constructed new buildings. Since that time, the University of Tennessee has established campuses and programs across the state. Today, in addition to a rich sports tradition, the University of Tennessee provides Tennesseans with unparalleled opportunities.
About the Author
Aaron D. Purcell holds a doctorate in history from the University of Tennessee and has served as university archivist since 2000. This book draws from the rich holdings of the university archives and other photographic collections at the University of Tennessee.
Table of Contents
Inauspicious Beginnings: 1794-1840 9
Years of Tumult and Reorganization: 1840-1879 21
Creation of a Modern University: 1879-1904 43
A Progressive University: 1904-1940 67
Expanding Horizons: 1940-1980 91
Preparations for the Future: 1980-present 111