Amid a confluence of messages regarding accountability, the Common Core State Standards, teacher effectiveness, and student performance, educators everywhere are looking for ways to revitalize their curriculum design and instructional practice. Upgrade Your Curriculum: Practical Ways to Transform Units and Engage Students offers a solution: providing students with meaningful, relevant units of study developed by the educators who actually teach them. The authors, both curriculum experts, advocate a gradual approach to transforming curriculum in which teachers work collaboratively to upgrade one unit at a time.
Drawing from a wealth of professional development experiences in schools across the United States and overseas, the authors
* Address the foundational concepts involved in transforming curriculum.
* Introduce their innovative transformational matrixan essential visual reference that classifies upgrades according to their effect on student learning and engagement.
* Outline the four phases of the collaborative transformational process: appraisal and brainstorming, commitment and communication, reactions and reflections, and revisions.
* Explain how to create units of study that engage students in higher-order thinking, authentically incorporate technology and web-based tools, and align with the Common Core.
* Present transformational snapshots that reflect how real practitioners across all grade levels and subject areas have upgraded curriculum and instruction and increased student ownership of learning.
If we view curriculum and assessment choices as indicators of the direction in which our students are heading, most of us would agree that they're currently traveling back to the 20th century. Clearly, we need to collectively step up our curriculum. This indispensable guide offers strategic, practical knowledge that will enrich your school's curriculum mapping efforts and help you create authentic, engaging learning environments that prepare students for the future.
|Publisher:||Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development|
|Product dimensions:||8.40(w) x 10.90(h) x 0.70(d)|
Table of Contents
Part 1: Transforming the Curriculum
Chapter 1: Transformational Perspectives
Chapter 2: Transformational Lenses
Chapter 3: Applications of Technology and Web-Based Tools
Chapter 4: The Transformation Spiral
Part 2: Transformational Snapshots
Chapter 5: Ten-Frame Mathematics
Chapter 6: Flat Stanley Podcast
Chapter 7: Talk Pals
Chapter 8: Microloans: A Glocal Impact
Chapter 9: Film Festival
Chapter 10: Social Justice Live!
Chapter 11: Science in the Cloud
Chapter 12: Pinterest Art Critiques
Chapter 13: Common Core State Standards Professional Development
Part 3: Transformational Reflections
Chapter 14: A High School Student's Perspective
Chapter 15: More Than Meets the Eye
Appendix: TECHformational Matrices
About the Authors