Queen Christina of Sweden (17th century)
They were passionate about power and politics. They were warriors for justice and equality. They sought knowledge and meaning. Girls and grannies, rebels and reformers, sovereigns and slavesthey all heeded their hearts and spoke their minds.
Discover history's icons and independent spirits through brief, eye-opening “she saids” alongside explorations of each woman and her quote. From ancient times to the modern day, these leaders and role models explored new worlds, faced formidable foes, and sacrificed much. Now their words remind us of where we've been . . . and how far we've come.
These 170 wise, witty remarks come down through the ages from such prominent personalities, notorious names, and unsung heroes as . . .
• Boudicca, warrior queen: “In this battle, you must conquer or die. This is a woman's resolve.”
• Mary Mason Lyon, education pioneer: “Go where no one else will go; do what no one else will do.”
• Marie de Gournay, feminist author: “Men and women are equal in everythingexcept opportunity.”
• Hypatia of Alexandria, celibate mathematician: “I'm wedded to the truth.”
• Thérèse of Lisieux, Carmelite nun: “You ask me for a method of attaining perfection. I know Loveand Love only!”
• Sarah Bernhardt, stage and silent-film actress: “My body will soon be dust [but] my glory will live forever.”
These shrewd, sassy women will shock, awe, and delight you!
|Product dimensions:||4.80(w) x 6.60(h) x 0.90(d)|
About the Author
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
I have bought several copies of this great find and great buy for Christmas gifts this year. Its wonderful for something extra for Christmas sacks or for your teacher, friend, secretary, or boss. Wait until you see what some of these Uppity Women in history have done. Let’s face it, all of us women want to be an Uppity Woman!!!
The indomitable Vicki Leon has done it again! Now with "Uppity Women Speak Their Minds" Leon gives us a compendium of outrageous, and passionate quotations from sassy, headstrong women over the ages, from ancient power queens to modern risk-takers. You'll find memorable words of wisdom, insight, wit, insult, humor, gumption, devotion, and gallantry for every kind of situation. Highly recommended for uppity women everywhere and the men who love them.