Using Computers in Historyby Sonja Cameron, S. Richardson
Information and communications technology is now an essential tool for the historian and for anyone engaging in historical study. Today's 'history workstation' includes computers, modems, scanners, printers, digital cameras and a wide range of software applications to access the World Wide Web and to analyse historical sources. Sonja Cameron and Sarah Richardson provide a clear, jargon-free introduction which demystifies the computing skills needed for historical research.
This step-by-step guide covers all aspects of history and computing including:
- presentation: from word-processing an article which conforms to scholarly protocols to presenting a slide show
- history and the World Wide Web: hints and tips on accessing and evaluating the wide range of historical material available on the internet
- databases: a clear introduction which guides you through the process of creating your own database of historical sources
- spreadsheets: a lucid explanation of basic quantitative methods, data analysis, graphing and charting
- digitised text and images: help on analysing digitised text, creating images and web pages.
The text is supported throughout by worked examples using historical sources, comprehensive illustrations, a detailed glossary and signposts to further study where appropriate. Using Computers in History is an indispensable aid to all those studying and researching history. Students, family and local historians, and history enthusiasts will all find this book informative and easy-to-use.
- Macmillan Education UK
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Product dimensions:
- 6.10(w) x 9.25(h) x 0.02(d)
What People are Saying About This
Meet the Author
SONJA CAMERON is Manager of the Higher Education Academy Subject Centre for History, Classics and Archaeology, UK.
SARAH RICHARDSON is Senior Lecturer in History at the University of Warwick, UK, and a founder member of the Association of History and Computing.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews