Fully updated to the recent exam changes, Kaplan Medical’s USMLE Step 2 CS: Core Cases provides expert guidance on frequently seen cases and is the only guide to highlight challenging cases frequently seen on the Step 2 Clinical Skills exam. With explicit, practical advice on communication, interpersonal skills, physical exam maneuvers, and more, USMLE Step 2 CS: Core Cases demystifies what standardized patients and test graders are looking for.
* Fully revised to reflect the recent Step 2 CS exam changes
* NEW section outlining the differential diagnosis and diagnostic reasoning process
* 43 frequently seen and challenging cases
* Spells out the logic behind each step—key for international medical graduates
* Topics include health checkups, work physicals, telephone calls, end-of-life issues, diabetes checkups, domestic violence, and HIV-related issues
* Each case covers:
—What to do before entering the room
—Instruction on performing focused histories and physical exams
—Advice on how to close properly with a patient
—Challenging questions you might face
—A thorough case discussion
—Sample patient note, including the new differential diagnosis and diagnostic reasoning component
About the Author
Phillip Brottman, MD, MS, is a board-certified emergency medicine physician. Dr. Brottman has served as a medical director and as an academic physician teaching in the lecture hall and bedside. He has personally seen and supervised his students and residents in approximately 40,000 patient visits over his lifetime. Having seen so many patients—most of them in about 15 minutes—uniquely qualifies Dr. Brottman on the best practices for gaining the patient’s trust and collecting the needed history/physical in a brief amount of time.