The 2nd Edition of the field's definitive reference has been completely updated to reflect all of the advances in the field. The second edition discusses significant advances in problem management, disease processes, and optimal treatments for patients with valvular heart disease. Designed to fully accommodate information needs of health practitioners across all specialties, it offers to the cardiologist succinct and practical information on clinical aspects, diagnostic approaches, and medical as well as surgical management options.
• Features individual chapters on special considerations in management of valve disease in pediatric and pregnant patients.
• Includes new data on the myocardial response at the cellular and tissue level.
• References and summarizes ACC/AHA guidelines on valvular heart disease.
• Gives complete guidelines on how and why to surgically treat valve patients.
• Reports on the clinical trial outcomes of valve disease · new data on EBCT for valve calcification and real-time MR imaging · new data on valve substitutes..
• Incorporates new chapters addressing valve disease in children and pregnant women..
• Proposes methods of surgical management and interventions for the treatment of valve disease.
• Focuses on the genetic, molecular, and cellular mechanisms of valvular disease.
With 8 additional contributing experts.
About the Author
Professor of Medicine, Director, Cardiology Fellowship Programs, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Valvular Heart Disease: Prevalence and Clinical Outcomes
Chapter 2: Pathology and Etiology of Valvular Heart Disease
Chapter 3: Echocardiographic Evaluation of Valvular Heart Disease
Chapter 4: Cardiac Catheterization and Angiography for Evaluation of Valvular Disease
Chapter 5: Other Diagnostic Approaches
Chapter 6: Basic Principles in the Medical Therapy in the Patient with Valvular Heart Disease
Chapter 7: The Left Ventricular Response to Chronic Pressure and/or Volume Overload
Chapter 8: Basic Principles of Surgical Interventions for Treatment of Valvular Disease
Chapter 9: Aortic Stenosis
Chapter 10: Mitral Stenosis
Chapter 11: Surgical and Percutaneous Intervention for Mitral Stenosis
Chapter 12: Aortic Regurgitation
Chapter 13: Mitral Regurgitation
Chapter 14: Mitral Valve Prolapse
Chapter 15: Surgical Intervention for Mitral Regurgitation
Chapter 16: Right-sided Valve Disease
Chapter 17: Prosthetic Valves
Chapter 18: Infective Endocarditis
Chapter 19: Valve Disease in Children
Chapter 20: Valvular Heart Disease in Pregnancy