PORTABLE PROFESSOR is a series of exciting and informative lectures recorded by some of today's most renowned university and college professors. Each course introduces listeners to fascinating, and sometimes startling, insights into the intellectual forces that shape our understanding of the world. Each package includes 14 riveting lectures presented by notable professors as well as a book-length course guide.
Since the beginning of recorded history, and likely for much longer than that, humankind has gazed to the heavens for clues to the most fundamental mysteries about our place in the universe. In the modern age, when the science of astronomy has replaced mythology as the primary tool for interpreting the heavens, we continue to search the skies for answers as we tumble through the solar system. In this remarkable course, award-winning astronomer James Kaler, moving outward from our vantage point on Earth, explains the workings of the planets and sun and shows how this knowledge provides remarkable insights into the mechanics of the universe at large.
- We and the Universe
- Reflections of the Spinning Earth
- Sun and Seasons
- Stories in the Sky: Constellations
- Romance of the Moon
- Happy Wanderers: The Planets
- Keeping It All Together
- Reaching Outward
- Our Domain: Earth and the Moon
- Iron Planets: Mercury, Venus, and Mars
- Monsters of the Midway: Jupiter and Saturn
- Distant Outposts: Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto
- Leftovers of Creation: Comets, Asteroids, and Meteors
About the Author