Vineland, New Jersey (Postcard History Series) by Arjorie Moniodis Ingraham, The Vineland Historical and Antiquarian Society
In 1861, Charles K. Landis carved the village of Vineland from the western edge of the Pine Barrens. The community quickly attracted a diverse population who farmed and manufactured. A network of railroads enabled the town to ship its produce and products to markets along the East Coast. Vineland was recognized as a cultural mecca as well as a center of civil rights and women's suffrage. Physically the largest "small town" in New Jersey in square miles, Vineland today still attracts newcomers in search of new opportunities, just as Landis hoped for all those years ago.
The Vineland Historical and Antiquarian Society is the oldest local historical society in New Jersey, headquartered in the oldest purpose-built museum in the state. These postcards are from the collections of Arjorie Moniodis Ingraham, a retired Vineland business owner with a lifelong passion for history and a life member of the Vineland Historical and Antiquarian Society.