Uh-oh, it looks like your Internet Explorer is out of date.
For a better shopping experience, please upgrade now.
Web Design Companion for the Digital Artist (Against the Clock Companion) / Edition 1 available in Paperback
Temporarily Out of Stock Online
The Against The Clock Companion Series offers insight into fundamental artistic issues, such as:
- basic rules of good design
- proper and effective use of color
- typography's role in the design process
- principles underlying proven and compelling Web site design
The Against the Clock Companion Series contains richly illustrated, real-world commercial and institutional examples and provides the reasoning behind the creative strategies, production methodologies, and distribution models. It addresses disciplines most critical to computer arts, such as design, color, typography, and Web page design.
Table of ContentsIntroduction.
1. The Internet.
What Is the Internet? The Delivery Strategy. The Backbone. Services on the Internet. Accessing the Web. Getting Online. Software. Searching the Web.
2. How Web Pages are Built.
HTML. Web Page-Layout Programs. Cascading Style Sheets.
3. Site and Navigation Design.
Site Development. Selecting an Appropriate Site Structure. Interface and Navigation. Navigation Styles.
4. Creating and Publishing Your Sites.
Strategic Planning. Tactical Planning. Publishing.
5. Web Page Design.
Page Size. Content. Creating Containers for Your Content. Pages with Graphics: Visual Hierarchy. Page Layout.
Color Models. Web-Safe Colors.
File Types. Creating Backgrounds. ALT Text. General Guidelines. Rollover Techniques and CSS.
8. Web Typography.
Displaying Type on Web Pages. Fonts and Font Specification. @CHAPTER 9. = Multimedia and Interactivity.
- The basic rules of good design,
- The proper and effective use of color,
- The history and application of typography,
- Typography's role in the design process,
- The principles underlying proven and compelling Web-site design.
The Against The Clock Companion Series works together with application-specific libraries of training and skills-development books. The books in the series provide background in fundamental design and artistic issues. They complement the hands-on, skills-based approach of the Against the Clock and other applications titles. The series:
- Contains richly illustrated, real-world examples of commercial and institutional artwork, designs, packaging, and other creative assignments;
- Provides the reasoning behind the creative strategies, production methodologies, and distribution models in the words of the artists who provided them;
- Addresses the four most important disciplines critical to successful use of computer arts applications: design, color, typography, and Web-page design;
- Presents the material in a friendly and easy-to-understand manner, rather than relying on technical jargon or obsolete terminology.
The books in the Companion Series are:
- Web Design Companion for the Digital Artist (ISBN: 0-13-097355-6)
- Design Companion for the Digital Artist (ISBN: 0-13-091237-9)
- Typography Companion for theDigital Artist (ISBN: 0-13-040993-6)
- Color Companion for the Digital Artist (ISBN: 0-13-097524-9)
We hope that you'll find the books as effective and useful as we found them exciting and fun to develop. As always, we welcome any comments you might have that will make the next editions of the books even better.
About Against The Clock
Against The Clock (ATC) was founded in 1990 and went on to become one of the nation's leading systems integration and training firms. The organization, founded by Ellenn Behoriam, specialized in developing custom training materials for clients such as L.L. Bean, The New England Journal of Medicine, the Smithsonian, the National Education Association, Air & Space Magazine, Publishers Clearing House, the National Wildlife Society, Home Shopping Network and many others.
Building on their lengthy experience creating focused and structured training materials, ATC's management team began working with major publishers in the mid-nineties to produce high-quality application and workflow-specific training aids. In 1996, ATC introduced the highly popular "Creative Techniques" series, which focused on real-world examples of award-winning commercial design, imaging and Web-page development. Working with Adobe Press, they also developed successful management books, including Workflow Reengineering, which won the IDIA award as most effective book of the year in 1997.
In 1998, the company entered into a long-term relationship with Prentice Hall/Pearson Education. This relationship allows ATC to focus on bringing high-quality content to the marketplace to address up-to-the-minute software releases. The Against The Clock library has grown to include over 45 titles focusing on all aspects of computer arts. From illustration to Web-site design, from imaging to animation, and from page layout to effective production techniques, the series is highly-regarded and is recognized as one of the most powerful teaching and training tools in the industry.
Against The Clock, Inc. is located in Tampa, Florida and can be found on the Web at our site.