This informative anthology provides convenient,inexpensive access to current,carefully selected articles from some of the most respected newspapers,magazines,and journals published today. Within the pages of this volume are interesting,well-illustrated articles by historians,educators,researchers,and writers that examine Western civilization from the early modern years through the twentieth century.
Table of ContentsUNIT 1. The Age of Power
1. The Emergence of the Great Powers, Gordon A. Craig and Alexander L. George, from Force and Statecraft: Diplomatic Problems of Our Times, Oxford University Press, 1983.
2. War, Money, and the English State, John Brewer, from The Sinews of Power, Alfred A. Knopf, 1989.
3. A Golden Age: Innovation in Dutch Cities, 1648-1720, Jonathan Israel, History Today, March 1995.
4. A Taste of Empire, 1600-1800, James Walvin, History Today, January 1997.
5. Brazil's African Legacy, John Geipel, History Today, August 1997.
UNIT 2. Rationalism, Enlightenment, and Revolution
6. Descartes the Dreamer, Anthony Grafton, The Wilson Quarterly, Autumn 1996.
7. Declaring an Open Season on the Wisdom of the Ages, Robert Wernick, Smithsonian, May 1997.
8. When Women Pirates Sailed the Seas, Marcus Rediker, The Wilson Quarterly, Autumn 1993.
9. Blacks in the Gordon Riots, Marika Sherwood, History Today, December 1997.